It’s Safe to Ask
It’s Safe to Ask encourages patients and families to request the information they need in order to become active participants in their care. It includes easy-to-read materials for patients, as well as information kits for healthcare providers and organizations. Materials are available in 15 languages.
Health literacy is the ability to access, understand, evaluate, and communicate information needed to make healthcare decisions. Approximately 60% of adult Manitobans have low levels of health literacy. It’s Safe to Ask is intended to help improve people’s health literacy.
by the Manitoba
Institute for Patient Safety
will be identified with
• Patient Safety: A Primer is a resource that can be used alone for information on patient safety basic concepts for healthcare providers and students, or as part of the Learn to be Safe resource.
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and transmit only unaltered copies of the documents and materials from Learn to be Safe – A Simulation Learning Experience, for non-commercial purposes. For more information, contact the Manitoba Institute for Patient Safety.
The Importance and Impact of an Apology
An Information Sheet from the Manitoba Institute for Patient Safety and the Manitoba Alliance of Health Regulatory Colleges
Patients and their families expect to be told when something has happened that has harmed them or had the potential to harm them. It is natural to follow this with a sincere ad honest expression of regret (an apology). Manitoba has an Apology Act that prevents an apology from being admitted as evidence of fault or legal liability. It prohibits apologies from being used in court. Under the legislation, an apology does not void, impair or affect malpractice or liability insurance coverage.
My Patient Advocate Agreement
The agreement is for patients who wish to appoint a person(s) to speak up and act on their behalf.
Learn to be Safe –
A Simulation Learning Experience
Learn to be Safe – A Simulation Learning Experience contains:
• Patient Safety: A Primer, outlining core concepts and resources about patient safety
• A Leader’s Guide to orient leaders about simulation and the kit’s resources
• Scenario Guides for 2 case simulations, “Maureen’s Journey” and “Gene’s Story”
• Learner’s workbooks that prepare participants for the exercise. It can be used to take notes and observances during the simulation and in discussions afterward
• Character briefings, character photos, props and resources for participants to enact the simulations.
How to order a Kit
To order printed copies please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at 204.927.6477 or 1.866.927.6477 for further details. Maximum quantities may apply.
My Patient Advocate Agreement promotional poster