Manitoba Institute for Patient Safety Logo
Facebook Logo Twitter Logo You Tube Logo Pinterest Logo
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can you connect me with a patient advocate? / How do I find a patient advocate?

MIPS does not provide patient advocates but we do have information on who might be able to be an advocate for you with our Tips for Finding a Patient Advocate in Manitoba.

2. Who do I contact regarding a concern about a healthcare provider?

Healthcare providers are governed by their corresponding regulatory body. For example, doctors are regulated by The College of Physicians & Surgeons of Manitoba. For any concerns about a healthcare provider, contact their specific regulatory body, here is a list of Manitoba’s regulatory body alliance. Each one has their own complaints process.

3. I have a hard time communicating with my doctor/ What questions can I ask my doctor to make sure I’m getting the information I need?

The three main questions that are important to ask your health care provider are:

1 – What is my health problem?

2 – What do I need to do?

3 – Why do I need to do this?

If, after these questions have been addressed, you still are not fully understanding, it is ok to ask the doctor to explain again. You may also want to bring someone along who can assist you, such as talking with your doctor and by taking notes. You can find out more about how a patient advocate can help here.

4. What are my rights and responsibilities as a patient advocate?

As a patient advocate, your actions on behalf of the patient are based on their wishes. A patient advocate cannot make decisions on their own but acts with the patient to ensure their concerns are addressed by their health care provider. MIPS has a resource available to the public – My Patient Advocate Agreement  - that details what a patient advocate is and is not, as well as a checklist of responsibilities for the patient advocate. The patient and their advocate can go through the checklist and decide together what each feels comfortable with.


5. Do I have the right to a second opinion?

The Code of Conduct of the Canadian Medical Association instructs doctors to “respect your patient’s reasonable request for a second opinion from a physician of the patient’s choice.” If you are not satisfied with your doctor’s diagnosis or prescribed treatment, you can ask your doctor for a referral for a second opinion.


6. How do I find a doctor?

You can register to find a family doctor here. You can also call 204-786-7111 (toll free-1-866-690-8260) Monday to Friday between 8:30 am 4:30 pm.


7. Confused about where to go? Emergency department, Urgent care?

You can find the WRHA guide for where to go for care here. Still not sure where to go? Call the 24-hour Health Links helpline at 204-788-8200, or toll-free at 1 888 315 9257.


8. How do I access my Personal Health Information (PHI)? Who has access to my PHI?

Every person has the right to access their own PHI (i.e. medical records). This includes examining their PHI, obtaining a copy of their PHI and requesting corrections. To access your PHI, contact the trustee who has the information.  A trustee is defined as healthcare providers or healthcare facilities (hospitals and clinics).


9. Are you associated with Manitoba Health? Can I get a health card from you?

We are not a government agency and do not handle health cards. Contact Manitoba Health, Seniors, and Active Living here to get or replace a Manitoba Health card.